Sunday, January 29, 2012

GameStates, Contexts, and Entities.... OH MY!!

Ok, so as indicated by my last post, I am now working on the basic design of my new component engine. I have made good progress so far. I have been able to set up the basic structure, and recreate my previous GraphViewer application. So far my component engine has these elements:

GameState - This is pretty much the main game class for now. It holds everything that the main part of the game needs. Later on I will build a state manager that will manage different states of the application (Intro, game menu, credits, game, etc...)

Contexts - Every context manages a different part of the game (Graphics, physics, input, sound, etc...) These contexts allow the different sub-system code to be drawn out of the different Components

Entity - A basic game object that ties together various components.

Components - This is an individual part of an entity that is responsible for a specific task. For Example there is a graphics component that handles what mesh to draw, or what color to draw it. You can mix and match components in an entity depending on what you want to do with the game object.

Ok, thats about it for now. I will expect a demo of what I am doing sometime this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment